29 years ago on April 24, 1982 the Pi Mu Chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon was officially born.
Please join us in the celebration of our Chapter’s 29th birthday by giving a present.
OR, if you would really like to give the chapter some birthday luck for the next year, we recommend donating at the Horse Shoe Level.
How many Fraters will join us in our Birthday Celebration this year and be honored on our Wall of Charity???
Some Fun Facts of 1982
President: Ronald Reagan
Vice-President: George Bush
Some things that happened nationally in 1982
- Pi Mu Chapter at Buffalo State College receives Tau Kappa Epsilon charter.
- Ma Bell forced to split up.
- Tylenol poisoning scare.
- The word “Internet” first used to describe the connected pieces of ARPANET.
- Commodore-64 released.
- Time Magazine names the personal computer its Man of the Year.
- Compact Discs introduced.
- Falkland Islands War.
- John Hinckley found not guilty because of insanity in Reagan shooting.
- Liposuction introduced.
- Vietnam Memorial erected in Washington D.C.
- First artificial heart transplant takes place, the receipent lives 112 days.
- Delorean Motor Company goes bankrupt.
- Cats opens on Broadway.
- Space shuttle Columbia launched on first mission.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) machines introduced in Great Britain.
- E.T. opened at in theaters.
- First genetically-engineered food approved for sale.
- Prince William born to Lady Diana.
- Unemployment hits 10%, highest since 1940.
- Dow breaks 10,000 for first time.
- Sun Microsystems founded.
- MS-DOS first licensed.
- World’s Fair held in Knoxville, Tenn.
- USA Today founded.
- Graceland opened to the public.
- Braniff Airlines goes under.
- The first Rambo film, First Blood opened in theaters starring Sylvester Stallone.
US GDP (1998 dollars): $3,242.10 billion
Federal spending: $745.76 billion
Federal debt: $1137.3 billion
Median Household Income (current dollars): $20,171
Consumer Price Index: 96.5
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.20
San Francisco d. Cincinnati (26-21)
St. Louis Cardinals d. Milwaukee Brewers (4-3)
LA Lakers d. Philadelphia 76ers (4-2)
NY Islanders d. Vancouver (4-0)
Women: Martina Navratilova d. C. Evert Lloyd (6-1 3-6 6-2)
Men: Jimmy Connors d. J. McEnroe (3-6 6-3 6-7 7-6 6-4)
Kentucky Derby Champion
Gato Del Sol
NCAA Basketball Championship
North Carolina d. Georgetown (63-62)
NCAA Football Champions
Penn St. (11-1-0)
Italy d. W. Germany (3-1)Cost of Living 1982
How Much things cost in 1982
Yearly Inflation Rate in USA: 6.16 %
Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average: 1046
Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve: 11.50%
Average Cost of new house: $82,200.00
Average Income per year: $21,050.00
Average Monthly Rent: $320.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas: 91 cents
New Car Average price: $7,983.00
US Postage Stamp: 20 cents
Vic 20: $299.95
Satellite Receiver: $245.95
Share on Facebook